History & Staff
We have years of experience caring for families, from all walks of life. Each family comes to us because they know we are leaders in our profession, dedicated to excellence in service, and have the highest integrity.
Philip F. Weber and J. E. Marks organized marks-Weber Funeral Home. Originally the firm was known as Marks, Weber, and Co., a furniture store and funeral service firm in the 100 block of North Main Street in Edwardsville, Illinois.
Marks Weber & Company was reorganized in 1925. Members of the firm were Charles W. Marks, Bernard H. Weber, and Harry F. Marks. Harry and Charles Marks were brothers to J.E. Marks, and Bernard Weber was the son of Philip F. Weber, the original founders of Marks-Weber and Co.
Marks-Weber Funeral Home purchased the present location at 304 North Main Street from Dr. E.M. Fiegenbaum. Pharmacist John S. Trares built the present location at 304 North Main Street between 1865 and 1870. It was designed in a fashionable Second Empire Style, imported from France. In 1891 Dr. E. M. Fiegenbaum purchased the house. Dr. Fiegenbaum conducted his medical practice in a small building facing Main Street. In it was a waiting/reception room, examining room, and room for surgery. In 1927 the building was moved to the rear of the house and is today a garage for funeral cars. Extensive remodeling was done and the funeral home opened in October of 1927. It was advertised as the first modern funeral home facility in Edwardsville.
T. Hays Mallory joined Marks-Weber Funeral Home. He became a licensed funeral director in 1935 and remained with the firm until his death in 1986. Hays served as Vice President of the funeral home for many years. He was active in numerous civic organizations and served as Edwardsville Township Supervisor from 1969 until 1977.
The firm was incorporated and Bernard Weber became President of the corporation.
The firm name was changed to Weber Funeral Home, Inc.
Philip H. Weber, son of Bernard H. Weber joined the firm and became President in 1964. A licensed funeral director and embalmer Phil is the third generation in the funeral business.
Extensive remodeling was completed with the addition of a chapel.
W. Edward Rodney, a native of Herrin, Illinois joined the firm as a licensed funeral director and embalmer. In 1990 he became Vice-President of Weber Funeral Home and a principal in the operation of the business.
Michael D. Weber, son of Philip H. Weber and fourth generation, joined the firm as a licensed funeral director and embalmer. He became President of Weber Funeral Home in 1990.
Weber Funeral Home purchased the Pletcher Funeral Home at 627 St. Louis St. Edwardsville, IL. A community leader named E.M. West built the historic home in 1855. Sometime early in the 20th century the residence was sold to the Wolfe Family. In 1940 it was purchased by Edwin Schnieder, who converted it into a funeral home. In 1962 it was sold to F. Dean Pletcher. Mr. Pletcher operated the funeral home until his retirement in 1996. At that time, it was sold to Joseph G. Kalmer, a longtime employee of Pletcher Funeral Home. Mr. Kalmer operated the funeral home until its purchase by Weber in October 2001.
On February 1, 2004 the management of Weber Funeral Home announced the consolidation of its operations at the main funeral home at 304 N. Main Street and will be selling the Pletcher Funeral Home facility at 627 St. Louis Street. During the two years of operating the two facilities, Weber found they could accomodate the Pletcher Funeral Home families at their main location. All funeral records and prearrangements from Pletcher will be maintained and honored by Weber Funeral Home.
Our Valued Staff
Michael D. Weber, Funeral Director, Co-Owner
Michael D. Weber is the fourth generation of the Weber family to run the business. He is a life long resident of Edwardsville, and a 1976 graduate of EHS. He graduated from Forest Park Community College in St. Louis in 1979 with a degree in Mortuary Science. Mike has a daughter Brook Dee, a son Michael J. Weber, and a daughter Julia Noel Weber. Mike is past chairman and current sponsor chairman of the Edwardsville/Glen Carbon Ducks Unlimited Chapter. He is also well known in the Midwest for his talent as a golfer. He has traveled throughout Japan and North America performing a trick shot show and long drive exhibitions since 1991. He was also a 1990-Quarter finalist in the National Long Drive competiton.
W. Edward Rodney, Funeral Director, Co-Owner
W. Edward Rodney, co-owner of Weber & Rodney Funeral Home is a 1967 graduate of Herrin High School in Herrin, Illinois and Southern Illinois University School of Mortuary Science. Ed started as a licensed Funeral Director/Embalmer with Weber Funeral Home in 1969. He became a principal in running the business in 1990. Ed is a Madison County Deputy Coroner and a licensed insurance producer. He is past president of the Madison County Funeral Director's Association, and has also served on the Education Committee for the Illinois Funeral Director's Association. He is a member of St. Boniface Catholic Church and Edwardsville Knights of Columbus, a life member of the Edwardsville Jaycees, where he received the Distinguished Service Award, Keyman, and Jaycee of the Year. Ed also served on the Board of Directors of Eden Village, Past President of the Edwardsville Rotary Club, where he recieved a Paul Harris Fellow Fellowship. Ed is also Past President of the Herrin Rotary Club. He enjoys traveling with his family and riding his Harley with his friends, trout fishing, and golf. Ed is married to Joan (Ottolini) Rodney. They have a daughter, Amanda (Husband George) Touchette, a son, Brandon, also a funeral director who works with him in the funeral home, and grandhcildren, Skylar, Hunter, & Kylie Touchette.
Michele Todd, Advanced Planning
Michele Todd was born and raised in Alton, Illinois and is a graduate of Marquette High School. Michele has been employed in the funeral business since 1987 & with Weber & Rodney Funeral Home since 1997. Michele is responsible for pre-arrangement planning. However, she also assists families with aftercare, making sure they have received all the benefits they are entitled to such as social security, veterans, and insurance. Michele also assists families in the selection and purchase of monuments. Growing up, most Sundays were spent visiting relatives in Edwardsville where her dad Hugh Lanham and his family were born and raised. Michele and her husband Raymond Todd live in Edwardsville. They have three children, Maureen Bailey of Glen Carbon, Illinois, Dr. Michael Todd of Glen Carbon, Illinois & Melissa Berman of Waterford, Michigan. They have seven grandchildren. Michele has held numerous offices with her church and school and enjoys giving her time for volunteer duties. Her way of relaxing is singing in the church choir, cross-stitch, reading and any activity that involves family.
Raymond R. Todd, Support Staff
Raymond R. Todd was a native of Wood River, Illinois. He graduated from East Alton - Wood River Community High School in 1959. In 1964 he received a BS in Metallurgical Engineering from Missouri School of Mines and Metallurgy. He was hired by National Steel Corporation and during that time acquired a MS degree in Metallurgical Engineering from the University of Missouri - Rolla graduate center in St. Louis. During his 39 years employment at National Steel he had various positions, Hot Strip Metallurgist, Inspection and Testing Supervisor, and Senior Technical Service Metallurgist. He is married to Michele and they have three children, Maureen Bailey of Glen Carbon, Dr's. Michael and Kristian Todd of Glen Carbon, and Melissa and Brent Berman of Waterford, Michigan. They also have seven grandchildren, which is a hobby in itself. Other hobbies include addiction to golf and flying radio controlled airplanes, singing in the church choir and with the Collinsville Chorale. He has worked at the funeral home since 2003.
Charlene Hackethal, Support Staff
Charlene Hackethal was born and raised in Pontiac, Michigan. She is a graduate of Waterford Twp. High School and has two years of college at Hillsdale College in Hillsdale, Michigan. She has resided in Edwardsville since 1960. Charlene has been married to Cletus Hackethal for over 30 years. They have 4 daughters, 1 son, and 6 grandchildren. All live in the area except a daughter, who lives in N.S.W. Australia. Charlene is a member of Trinity Lutheran Church, where she is active in the Dorcas Society and Lutheran Women’s Missionary League. She spends her spare time at their summer home at the Lake of the Ozarks. She has been employed at Weber & Rodney Funeral Home for 16 years.
Donald J. Lask, Support Staff
Donald J. Lask was born in Parma, Ohio. He is a graduate of Padua Franciscan High School and
graduated from Quincy College in Quincy, Illinois, with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Communication Arts. Don married Kathy (Knibb) Lask from Edwardsville in 1976, and both are members of St. Boniface Catholic Parish, Edwardsville. They have three children, Dr. Nikki (Ph.D.) Aitken (Brian) living in Bloomington, Illinois, who teaches at Illinois Central College in East Peoria, Illinois. Dr. Michael (DMD) Lask (Kyle Jebe) and Mark Lask (Katie Sheehan), both living in Edwardsville. Dr. Michael Lask practices dentistry in Vandalia, Illinois, and Mark is currently an Edwardsville Police Officer. Don and Kathy also enjoy four grandchildren of various ages. Don was hired by the Edwardsville Police Department as a police dispatcher in 1974 and became a sworn Police Officer in 1978. He served as the first D.A.R.E. (Drug Abuse Resistance Education) officer from 1989 to 1998, teaching in all the schools of the Edwardsville School District 7. Don was promoted to the ranks of Sergeant, Lieutenant, Major, and served two terms as Interim Chief, finally retiring in March 2013 as Deputy Chief after 36 years of service. Don enjoys outdoor activities, especially fishing, hunting, and camping, and looks forward to spending time and traveling with his wife, now a retired District 7 special education teacher.